Thursday, June 11, 2009

Miniature Cabbage on Life Support

??????????????????????

So, I'm unloading this week's box of nature's bounty when I get to the bottom of the box and discover this... this alien space vegetable. I mean, have YOU ever seen a veggie like this?
I'm having a contest this week. The first person to correctly identify this mystery delicacy will win... what? I don't know... something like the title "Best Mystery Vegetable Guesser". (Out of 8 people who came to my house for dinner this week, only one correctly identified this freaky, anemic-looking, bulbous plant.) Despite its weird appearance, it really is edible, even tasty. Crunchy. Tangy. WHO KNEW THINGS LIKE THIS EXISTED? It is the Plant Kingdom equivalent of those albino, eyeless, creepy fish that swim thousands of feet below the ocean's surface. Is it just me or does anybody else wonder who in the world was the first person to eat this and more importantly, how hungry were they to give it a try?
I look at this plant and laugh. It delights me that God is so darn creative. That God has such a delicious sense of humor. What kind of wonderful mind would dream up such an outrageous creation!
Okay, so every post isn't going to be profound. Next time I might write an ode to this plant. In the meantime, remember the contest. Enter early. Enter often. (Julie, Marcia, and Pan... no fair. You don't count. Err, of course YOU count. Just that you can't guess since I already told you what it is.)
(On a slightly more serious note, I am continuing to eat well and to exercise almost daily. Last night, I did eat a burger and potato salad at a cookout, but balanced that with fresh snow peas, Bing cherries, blueberries, and k... oops, almost gave it away!)

2 comments:

  1. Danette - Spokane WashigtonJune 12, 2009 at 3:01 AM

    Based on your little hint I would say kohlrabi but I was going to say rutabaga (have no idea how to spell it). I have never tasted either.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, we ALREADY have a winner! Danette, send me your address so I can send you your banner as the "Kohlrabi Princess"!

    Stay tuned folks for more exciting contests and awe-inspiring prizes...

    ReplyDelete