Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Razzle Dazzle

I ordered a stunning fashion accessory today to go with the new and improved me. It's shiny purple... razzleberry, to be exact. I had my choice of colors: candy apple red, toxic green (which I considered for shock value), UT orange (which I did NOT consider), and sedate black opal. So what is this new fashion accessory? A sweater? nah. Earrings? nope. I know, a purse? Good guess, but no.



It's a new set of wheels... as in wheelchair. Now, a razzleberry wheelchair might not sound like an exciting new accoutrement, but I assure you it is thrilling. I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH FUN IT COULD BE TO DRIVE A GOOD SET OF WHEELS! For the test drive, I took off soaring down the hallway, and the PT yelled after me, "You have to come back! We have your purse!" Reluctantly, I returned to her office and switched back to my second-hand, beat-up chair. I'm counting the days until my tailor-made chair arrives (about 90).



I just want to say that anybody who uses the terminology "wheelchair bound" has never experienced the thrill of a streamlined, ergonomic, light-weight, spoke-wheeled, purple wheelchair. Seriously.



The PT has a photo of a smiling Guatamalan teen in a wheelchair on her bulletin board. This young woman with Cerebral Palsy received her first wheelchair at the age of 19 through the Joni and Friends Wheels to the World ministry. Prior to this, she had to be carried on somebody's back or had to crawl on the dirt floor in her home. I defy anybody to look at her radiant smile and use "wheelchair bound". Absolutely, amazingly wheelchair freed!



I may know a little of what she experienced. And it's pretty darn cool. For those of you who know me in person, consider this fair warning: I get my wheelchair in about 3 months, and it's so fast and so much fun, you had better be prepared to move out of my way if you don't want to be knocked skyward like toppling bowling pins. Just kidding. I won't run you over... I want you to be able to tell me how dazzling you find my razzleberry chair. And I need to get your advice: Do you think toxic green crutches might go with razzleberry purple?

2 comments:

  1. I came across your blog a few weeks ago - today's post made me smile. I know I can't really "get it," but you've told your story powerfully enough that the excitement of efficient new wheels, in razzleberry no less, makes me smile with you in antipation! Can't wait to see a picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do send a picture! I have a friend with crutches due to post polio and she decorates her crutches every month according to the holiday! LOL!! So yes, I think toxic green would be great! :o)

    Danette

    ReplyDelete