Saturday, April 3, 2010

Living in a Saturday World

I sit here on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

This day has traditionally been full of activity to take care of last minute Easter preparations: chocolate bunnies and pink tights to purchase, eggs to dye, potato salad and coconut cake to prepare. In contrast to the activity, it has always been somewhat spiritually void... back to the "real world" between the agony and pathos of Friday, and the triumph and joy of Sunday.

That's where I live my life. I live in a Saturday body, among Saturday people, in a Saturday world.

I live in limbo between the past certainty of the crucifixion and the future hope and faith in the resurrection. In order to live more fully and faithfully during this Saturday life, I must remember the past, hope for the future, but live in the tension of the present. It isn't always easy. I want my Sunday body and I want
it NOW! I want Sunday relationships and the Sunday world where there will be no more tears.

For now, though, I live Saturday most faithfully, by living as though Sunday will come... by seeing people through Sunday eyes as they will be one day fully redeemed, by treating creation with Sunday care, by honoring my body as though it is resplendent in Sunday perfection.

On this one Saturday, I am going to bake a ham, plant flowers on my back porch, have a dinner party for "sinners and tax collectors" and rejoice that Saturday is tinted a lovely shade of Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. This reads like a beautiful devotional.... Have you thought about submitting it to Daily Bread, The Upper Room, or writing your own book of these?I'm looking for the next installment- whatever genere it may take. Please post soon. It's been a long week.... Peace, healing & love, Pan

    ReplyDelete