Friday, December 17, 2010

A Tale of Two Walmart Trips

OMG! I have been thinking about the contrast between last December and this one, and I am completely blown away... blown away by how unnecessarily difficult my life was before and the contrast with today.

I just returned from a shopping excursion to Walmart. Last year, I went out on Christmas Eve for a few last minute stocking stuffers and some groceries for Christmas dinner. I expected to be 30 minutes in the store and then head to the candlelight service at church.

By December 24, I was running on fumes. As such, instead of trying to walk into the store, I asked a customer to enlist a greeter to bring me a wheelchair or scooter. A few minutes later, my chariot arrived. I had hoped for a scooter, but it was one of their rickety wheelchairs. Rather than trying to shop from the WC, I decided to wait for a scooter to become available. I sat near the entrance and imagined stories for all the customers coming and going. What manner of people goes to Walmart on Christmas Eve, for Pete's sake. (Oh wait... I was one of them. oh well) ONE HOUR later, a scooter appeared. And it was obviously running on fumes. I decided to give it a spin... desperate to get out of the store. (In retrospect, though, I can not fathom why I didn't just do my shopping from the WC unless I was seriously exhausted.) Anyhow, launching out into the store with a gauge showing "Dead Battery" was not well advised. I made it about 25 feet. At that point, I had to choose: leave the store with absolutely NOTHING to show for my efforts and go to church (and what would we have for dinner!!!! ARGH!) or wait for the scooter to charge.

Thinking 45 minutes probably gave the battery the boost it needed to accomodate my shopping needs, I hopped on and gave it another whirl. And lasted for about 20 minutes, before the dang thing died in the frozen food aisle. Fortunately, I noticed outlets on the bottom of the chest freezers in the center of the aisle, and plugged in to get another charge. At this point, I was NOT in a very cheery Christmas frame of mind and wanted to go "Walmart". (This is the equivalent of "going postal", just the crippled woman stuck in the freakin' Walmart frozen food aisle version.) I could have done some serious damage lobbing those stinkin' frozen cornish hens. "Hey customer, better DUCK!!" harharharaharhar... Peace on Earth, Morons!

I sat there entertaining myself for another 30 minutes while gleefully planning my Cbristmas Eve fowl deeds, and then I made a beeline for the check-out line. My sanity and the well being of all those poor last-minute shoppers was in serious jeapoardy. When I got home, I called my next door neighbor to help me into my house with my purchases.

I left my house at 4 pm and got home at 9 pm. Madness. Sheer and total madness.

Ahhh, but today... I expertly rolled my WC to my car, loaded it with proficiency (having learned by watching a Youtube video),unloaded and reassembled it in the Walmart parking lot, and briskly rolled for the store. (And wearing a bluejean miniskirt, black boots, and looking very good, if I am allowed to say so.) I didn't even think about using a scooter. I grabbed a shopping cart and wheeled my chair with one hand while pushing the cart with the other. I shopped for several hours, all over the store, and had a fantastic time.

A very sweet elderly man offered to push my cart to the parking lot, and I gladly accepted his kindness even though I was capable of handling the task on my own. When I got home, I pulled my wheelchair from the passenger seat across my body and out the car door where I snapped on the wheels and then etrieved my purchases from the back seat.

It was a little tricky rolling up the ramp holding 8-10 bags, but I carried half of them from my mouth. (It's efficient, but looks a little silly.)

I wheeled into my CLEAN house where Christmas music was playing, Christmas lights were glowing, and felt the most incredible sense of well-being and power.

It's a week before Christmas and I'm ready to relax with my kids and enjoy the holiday. The kitchen is spotless and ready for some serious holiday baking (something we have always wanted to do, but it always got lost in the frenzy of activities). This is my daughter's last Christmas at home before going to college next year, and I am trying to create a special Christmas for her. And I am having the most marvelous time giving her and Jeff this special attention and care. It feels like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment