Sunday, July 25, 2010

Year-Long Countdown Begins!

Yesterday was my 49th birthday. I am on a quest to see how healthy and fit I can get to celebrate turning 50, so today is day #364 and counting.

I am definitely on my way. To celebrate, my kids (sorta) graciously allowed me to drag them on a "junking" foray. (I love treasure hunting at thrift stores.) We forgot to take my crutches and I was surprised that I could pretty easily stand up from my wheelchair in order to transfer to the car without them! Already a vast improvement in strength. Best of all, my lovely daughter, whom I hadn't seen for a week or so, commented that I was looking really good. "You have a lap again, Mom!" "Indeed I do, Kelly, indeed I do!" When I told her that I'm working towards a goal for next summer when she graduates high school,she said, "Mom, you could take me and my friends on our Senior trip to the beach!" Yep, this quest is definitely a good thing.

We went out to dinner to celebrate. I ate half of a delicious steak and a lovely green salad, and stayed 100% on plan for the day's eating. No birthday cake for this girl this year, but I was A-OK with that. Effortlessly buttoning my favorite jeans and having them almost fall off later in the day... WAAAAAYYYY better than cake.

To recap:
Compliments from teenage critic
Standing up without crutches
Pants almost falling down

This is the best gift I've ever given myself, and it's about darn time! Happy Birthday, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment