Monday, August 2, 2010

I'm Magnetic

Magnetic for Carbs, that is.

I don't get it. Everywhere I turn these days, I am SURROUNDED by people tempting me with unsolicited food... carbohydrate-laden food. While lingering over conversation with friends following a delicious tomato/basil salad, the devil walked up and with the sweetest little voice drawled, "Would you care to sample our fresh bear claws?"

The next day, again at lunch with a friend, and again choosing items from the menu that are compliant with the Medifast program, I'll be doggoned if that same devil didn't reappear in the form of our waiter. "Ma'am, I know you ordered the steamed broccoli, but they made a mistake in the kitchen and gave you mashed potatoes. I'll bring your broccoli, but go ahead and enjoy the potatoes." (Just like the waitress the previous day, he looked like a young, fresh-faced college kid. I KNOW the truth, though!)

Again today. Lunchtime. I'm happily minding my own business when my darling, elderly, next door neighbor pecks on my door. "Lynna, I've brought you a plate of Italian bread with my homemade pesto." Four, count-em, FOUR! honkin' slices of bread slathered in her fresh-from-the-garden pesto.

Funny thing, though, I haven't experienced much desire to eat the proferred food. As wonderful as I know that bread would taste, I'm savoring even more the experience finding new vitality, both physically and emotionally, as I am gradually freed of the extra pounds that have weighed me down for the past ten years.

There will come a day when a slice of bread will be a wonderful treat; but for today, manna comes in the form of a protein shake. I'm grateful for that.

1 comment:

  1. You're a good woman for turning down mashed potatoes! Sounds like you've got the right perspective. :-)

    ReplyDelete