Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Wellness Breeds Wellness

This morning I arrived at work and parked in front of the smoking area for the adjacent business. Standing there were three very attractive, young, fashionable women. There was a time in my life, not so long ago, that I would have chosen to wait until they were through with their break before leaving my automobile. I wouldn't have wanted to endure the shame of the judgments that would surely be occurring. I wouldn't have been able to stand seeing myself through their eyes as I projected my damaged self-image onto them. Like a boomerang.

Not any more, though. I noted that I had changed and went busily about the business of getting my wheelchair reassembled, gathering my belongings and rolling towards my office.

As I smiled and said, "Hello" to the women, one particularly fresh-faced and cute 20-something said, "I hope you didn't think I was staring at you. I was watching so intently because my husband was in an accident a few months ago and is now a paraplegic learning how to do things like load and unload his wheelchair. I wanted to see how you did it." Cold chills.

Imagine the opportunity that would have been lost had I not experienced healing/self-acceptance and had hidden away in my vehicle! We talked for about 10 minutes and I sensed that I can help this young couple navigate the new and difficult terrain in which they find themselves. Pure grace.

Wellness. It creates ripples and fosters more wellness. Glorious system God has designed, dontcha think? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment