Tuesday, November 30, 2010

2010: A Darn Good Year

In a couple of days, I'll have been following the Medifast program for five months. Prior to that, I had been eating healthily and exercising since the beginning of the year, and had already seen significant progress in weight loss/strength gains at the time I started with Medifast.

The progress continues to be steady (and wonderful.) Just now, I noticed that my "new" black skirt (size 18) has about 4" of extra fabric at the waistline. (Size 16 may be here sooner than I thought!)

Back in the winter, I could not have imagined how much better my life could be by the end of the year.

Some of the wonderful aspects of the wellness journey:

I am rarely incontinent now. Woot! That alone would be worth celebrating with great fanfare.

I feel sexy and flirtatious.

The swelling in my legs is drastically better! Woot again!!

My skin looks younger and healthier.

I look younger and healthier (one friend said 20 years younger!)

I am tons stronger. When I started exercising, a simple action like rolling over in bed was growing "iffy". While I do have significant paralysis in some of the muscles in my legs, many of the otherwise healthy muscles in my trunk and hips were atrophied and weak from under use. Since I have been doing exercises in bed for about 30 minutes each night, my abdominal and back muscles grow significantly stronger. When I started, I couldn't do a sit up. Now, I do 100 each night. I have an exercise routine that I constantly adjust to provide challenge. Once something becomes easy, I add more resistance or increase the repetitions. There's no method to my madness other than doing what feels instinctive and exercising muscles in a way that feels like "work" but doesn't feel like pain.

Back in January, there wasn't one part of my body that I found attractive. Now, I grow increasingly delighted to gaze into the mirror. I love my neck and shoulders. I love my arms. I love my ribcage. I love my slim lower legs and love wearing skirts.

Back in January, I couldn't imagine that I would ever date. It was inconceivable... I felt unhealthy. Shoot, I was unhealthy and couldn't conceive of dating or romance. As I grow increasingly healthy, my attitude is, "Darn, I had no idea that an attractive/strong/healthy woman was hiding in there and, not only is it possible that I might date again, but I'm fairly certain it's in the cards in the not too distant future."

Back in January, I felt very, very disabled. Crippled. Today, I feel strong and lithe, and know that I've really just begun to see how wonderfully responsive my body can be. I can easily imagine that a year from now, I have the potential to be a very fit, healthy, athletic wheelchair user.

A year ago, my body was a runaway train about to jump the track. Today, I am chugging happily along and feeling quite pleased and happy with the journey so far.

Best guess: I've lost about 50 pounds. so far. Way to Go, Lynna!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Lynna I can not tell you how happy this post made me! You are such an inspiration that even with disability change is possible through diet and excercise! Way to go my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, Danette, this made my morning! I'm so glad you find inspiration in this... the truth about disability is so very, very different than what we have been led to believe, ehh? The changes in my body feel a little bit like "pinch me, this is a dream", and more importantly, the changes in how I FEEL about my body, feel like a miracle. Good stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete