Wednesday, January 26, 2011

You Go Girl!

I've been pondering something disturbing for the past couple of days. A friend posted a report of two lawyers in Thailand, both with post-polio disabilities,who were denied appointments as judges because it was decided that with their limps they wouldn't command the respect that was deemed necessary for judges to wield in the courtroom.

Tonight, I took out my anger on my Nustep. I flat out busted it for 100 minutes, letting loose with thoughts like, "How dare they marginalize them like that?" "What kind of sick society says a person doesn't command respect because they have a limp?""What kind of world is it that marginalizes people with disabilities and neglects to see... to see... to SEE... the courage, the gumption, the creativity, the perseverance, the wit, the beauty, the intelligence?" "What kind of world silences those voices and casts aside those gifts?" "Why are people unable to SEE?"

And as I rode that Nustep, beginning to breathe hard and to sweat, I promised myself that I will never allow people to tell me I am "less than". Oh, they might tell me that... I can't control what others say or what they see, BUT I will not accept that verdict. I will counter by telling them who I am: I am strong. I am a fighter. I am a lover. I am beautiful. I am worthy of being heard because I have suffered, and I have learned, and I have grown, and I have learned to love because of and through it all. I have things to say that the world needs to hear, and I will not allow a sick society to silence my voice.

And I will take care of my body and continue to lose weight and grow healthier. I will dress beautifully and live strong. I will speak out against injustice.
And I defy ANYBODY to tell me that I do not command respect!

It was quite a workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment