Thursday, March 17, 2011

Changing the Family Tree

My kids are watching. How do I know? My son has started running everyday and is making changes in his eating habits... curtailing fast food and making healthier choices. He is very low-key about it, and I try not to comment too much, but this is thrilling!!!

My daughter invited me to go out to dinner tonight with her best friend and her mother because the girls had a proposition they wanted to make to both of their moms. UHOH! You wouldn't believe all the possibilities that crossed my mind!!! (They graduate high school at the end of May and I was envisioning a proposal for a summer hiking trip across the country, or joining the Red Cross to help with disaster relief in Japan, or... with those two, my imagination was likely lacking.)

Here it is: They invited both of their moms to join them in a quest to lose weight and work on fitness between now and graduation and then for the four of us to go on a celebratory beach vacation to show-off our new and improved bathing-suit glamorous bodies!!! (I suggested that we extend it until mid-June to give a few more weeks to the effort.)

Oh, the thousand levels of delight this evoked in my soul!!!

I was so proud of them! Rather than wanting a "Biggest Loser" contest, they proposed that we approach this as a team effort wherein we provide each other with liberal support and "high-fives". AND A MOM/DAUGHTER BEACH TRIP at the end! (My 18 year-old daughter WANTS to vacation with her mother! WOW!)

I am so happy right now! Not only have I turned the ship on my own health and am sailing in healthier seas; the unplanned side-benefit is that my kids have decided to sail along with me.

Shhh. Don't tell them I'm blogging about this. I don't want to scare them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment