Sunday, March 27, 2011

"Running" at the Track

This morning I did something I haven't done in YEARS! I set my alarm clock so I could get up and exercise. My lovely daughter had asked me to accompany her to the track this morning... she jogged while I rolled in my wheelchair.

I LOVED it. I wheeled over a mile and sometimes Kelly would alternate walking along beside me with jogging ahead and we had a nice time talking.

It was such a rush going to a running track and exercising. I felt like a jock. I loved being outdoors and pushing my body to go faster and to see how far I could go.

Definitely something I intend to continue doing!

After all those years of physical decline, increasing girth, and poor body image, it is an amazing thing to see myself becoming fit and even more amazing to *feel* like I could become an athlete... strong, thin, lithe, healthy.

I am currently exercising 2 hours a day, at least... 1 1/2 hours of aerobic activity and 1/2 hour of using resistance bands. The greeter at Walmart asked me last night if I might be eligible for a motorized wheelchair. I told her that I vastly preferred moving under my own steam. (I know there are many people who can't do that and motorized chairs are a godsend; but, for me, I love the feeling of mastering the wheelchair... finally... and becoming athletic with it.

Thanks, Kelly, for getting me to that track this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment