Sunday, April 24, 2011

Adventure in My Own Backyard

I have wanderlust and a desire to experience other cultures...to be exposed to other races, cultures, worldviews. I'm tired of the same ol', same ol' white bread existence. Some people find comfort in the status quo. I suffocate under it.

And, yet, these past few days have reminded me that being opened to new ideas and experiences is as close as leaving the doors of my home and venturing out into the community.

Certainly, and anybody who reads my blog will know, the new and exciting venture of wheelchair rolling at the river is broadening my horizons at a dizzying pace. I meet no fewer than three new people each time I'm there. (Which translates to about 20 new stories of peoples' journeys each week. Tell me there aren't riches there to mine!) Everybody has a story and they are all fascinating.

Like the smorgasbord of people I meet at the river, my recent religious dabbling has been equally eclectic, wonderfully so, and has yielded a rich and varied experience, particularly during the past week... Holy Week in the Christian faith.

"Weeping for Bullies": the title of the Maundy Thursday service alone captivated me. Couple that with Communion, Foot washing and reflections on suffering offered at a Unitarian Church, and I was "in". It was beautiful, deep, loving, and mysterious, while focused, as the Unitarians do so well, on applying the message of scripture to living lives that are imbued with love and creating societies that are just. It was a perfect setting to experience the community/teaching of the Upper Room.

Friday evening came and I realized that I hadn't researched the Good Friday services in the area. Thinking I would miss that this year, I was delighted when my exercise class leader said, "We are cutting class short tonight because I'm going to Mass. Anybody want to come along?'

YES! ME!! PLEASE, please, please, pant, pant, may I go, too????

Let me tell you... everybody should experience Good Friday at a Catholic church at least once. It was deep and somber, and really brought my attention to a deeper understanding of the sacrifice Jesus made to suffer as he did... for me. There was a huge life size crucifix in the center of the altar area at the end of the center aisle. At a key point in the liturgy, the priests removed the blood red fabric that enshrouded it, to reveal the nearly naked body of Christ hanging there. The congregation was invited to come forward and worship the Savior. And they did. A stream of people lined up to the back of the sanctuary and it went on for a long time. Each person would offer worship as they desired. Some kneeled and literally kissed the feet. Some leaned forward and kissed his ribs. Some touched his cheek. Some parents came forward and bowed down with their little children alongside of them, teaching them to honor sacrifice.

While it was definitely outside of my experiences as a Methodist, it was beautiful to behold so many people honoring Jesus in remembrance of his suffering. It was comforting. (Little side note: People in wheelchairs weren't expected to access that cross. The Priest came around to the "disabled section" with a small - about 18 inch- crucifix for people to show their homage. I'm not Catholic but I felt left out not being able to roll to the "real" Jesus and offer my worship. Sadly, churches are a significant place of marginalization for people with disabilities.)

The Catholic Church was the perfect place to experience Good Friday.

And today,I had the perfect place to experience Easter! I've recently begun attending a new church... one that feels very much like what I've been yearning for for my entire spiritual journey... very much like the early church of Acts. This morning, to celebrate Easter, a visiting choir led worship... an accapella choir of men from Zambia who love Jesus, who sing like angels, and who use their lives to bless others, particularly 250 orphaned children in Zambia whose education they support through proceeds from their ministry.

I am frustrated that I don't have better writing skills to convey the beauty of this service. First, just to have an international element in the Easter service was a beautiful reminded of the universality of salvation. Second, when they talked about being missionaries TO the United States, I wanted to cheer! Third, the spirit of the worship was sublime. When kids and youth started streaming to the front of the auditorium, uninvited yet compelled by the spirit, to DANCE!, I felt like I had entered heaven. (The guys from Zambia said, "We were told years ago that people in the United States dance in worship. This is the first time we have seen this. Wow! How very, very sad... the FIRST time. We need to practice dancing more because we are going to be doing that ALOT in heaven.)

I sat at the back of the auditorium at the top of a fairly steep ramp, and wished I was young and could go dance with them. I had almost mustered courage to do that anyway, when they finished and the pastor came forward to deliver the message. I was sad that I had let an opportunity pass by. NOT! They came back on stage to close out worship with another song! I still hesitated. Not wanting to be foolish. Not wanting to call attention to myself. But wanting to DANCE! I unlocked my brakes and took off down the ramp. Just as I pulled in, they sounded the final notes of the song... AND then led into "Amazing Grace". I held hands, uplifted, with a 5th grader and was so very, very glad for the freedom that Jesus gives me to be foolish.

After worship, the church streamed out into a large area for a party. A feast of food, laughter, shared lives, shared stories. New Testament Church... and this was the perfect place to experience Easter.

Loving the Adventures... Thank you, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment