Friday, April 29, 2011

Medical Model of Disability: NO MORE!

One of the most wonderful aspects of losing weight, becoming fit, and growing healthier is that I am finally, finally, finally externally revealing the internal truth that has grown inside of me for the past decade: The medical model that says disability is something abnormal, defective, broken, in need of fixing is totally messed up. The truth is that disability is part of the normal range of humanity, it is challenging, at times, to be sure, but a person can lead a very full, healthy, life with wonderful relationships, purposeful work, and creative play. People with disabilities are normal. The medical model is a lie that kills the spirit and ruins lives.

When I am rolling down at the river, in my black, racer-back tank top that reveals my tanned shoulders, rippling with lovely (feminine) muscles, I can't imagine anybody would see me as dis-abled. Surely they see power, grace, efficiency, tenacity.

When I was 80 pounds heavier, I was a "rolling" billboard that seemed to support that medical model of disability. Even while feeling extremely competent and whole internally, the exterior did not match who I had grown to be. I could talk a blue streak about healing and wholeness, but my message lacked veracity when the external "proof" seemed to be lacking.

Finally, the exterior "me" is beginning to catch up to the interior "me". I grow increasingly and *visibly* strong and attractive. Now, I combat the medical model of disability just by going about my life. Now, I may just have a message to deliver that people will be able to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment