Sunday, April 17, 2011

With Gusto

I'm officially adding an additional layer to the focus of my blog. In the past, it was primarily centered on my journey to lose weight and regain my physical health. While that will be an ongoing journey (lifetime endeavor), there is so much more on the horizon. It's as though getting healthier was doing the legwork to prepare for the next ascent up the mountain.

I have recently taken stock of my life, and I want more from it. While my current state of relaxation (reading, gardening, shopping, rolling at the river, coffee with friends,etc.) is just what the doctor ordered for this very burned-out and hurting former church worker, this was intended as a healing respite, not the end of the climb. I am want to live BIGGER and I want to serve BIGGER. I want to risk BIGGER and love BIGGER!

And SO, I am holding my hands wide open to the "universe"... here I am, God. I think I'm ready, let's climb. Show me the next path.It's so exciting to realize that I can forge ahead with possibilities. Part of my journey, no doubt, will involve obstacles. With a disability, little bumps in the road can be major roadblocks. It is going to be an adventure of tenacity, perseverance, courage, and more than a little creative problem solving and brainstorming.

Going back to school (or to work in Washington) is going to require intentional focus and faith to overcome the challenges (or grace to submit to the challenges that really are beyond me...) giving it my all, and finding contentment in the effort whatever the results may be. And to remain hopeful and seeking. Always seeking. Always moving. Always growing.

Right now, at this wonderful minute, I feel blessed to be disabled. Having a disability makes the journey so much more interesting. It requires me to use my intellect for problem-solving. It fosters a deeper spiritual connection with God, being quite certain of my need in the midst of my weakness. It fosters compassion for self and others. And when God and I climb to new places together, I celebrate all the more the progress for the difficulty it involved in getting there. I am all the more aware that life is a grace-soaked and a daring adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment