Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Exercise: How I Love YOU!

I have a significant advantage over able-bodied people in the exercise realm.

Say what?

Yes, I DID say that.

Huh? Advantage? You use a wheelchair... what possible advantage could that offer in the exercise realm? Do you mean you use more energy rolling than walking?

Nope, that's not what I mean, and I'm not even sure if mile for mile I expend more energy than somebody on their feet. The advantage, though, is significant: Because I experienced loss after loss after loss of physical functioning over the past decade, to find that I CAN move my body, and I CAN become stronger, and I CAN have lovely toned muscles and I CAN workout and sweat, and I CAN experience that sweet endorphin rush that comes at about 40 minutes in, and I CAN be an athlete... well... let's just say, I feel sorry for all you able-bodied people who have never known the losses of disability and the re-gains of exercise.

You see exercise as a necessary evil. Something to schedule. Something to trudge through with disciplined determination.

I see it as a best friend. I see it as a daily pleasure. I see it as the best part of my day. I experience it as joy. It is giving me my life and well being back. It is giving me strong muscles. It is giving me a sexy body. It is giving me healthy skin, arteries, and biochemistry. It is giving me self-esteem and it elevates my mood. Exercise is pure, pure grace.

And, for that, I am glad I am disabled else I might never have known this exquisite delight. (I'll try not to pity you people who have to push. smile)

No comments:

Post a Comment