Friday, April 15, 2011

Inspiration

Alot of people with disabilities take offense at being described as "inspirational".

Not me... I like to think that the way I am embracing my life does inspire others to do the same.

While rolling at the river, I estimated that upwards of 500 cars passed by me on the heavily-traveled two-lane road just adjacent to the trail. Some honked and waved. (Probably people who know me giving me "high-fives".) Their greetings made me realize that I am very visible on that trail to wayyyyy more people than the handfuls I meet who are jogging and walking.

And I had a flash of joy realizing that completely unaware, and just by going about trying to live my life fully, I am probably doing more good in the world than I know. How many people driving by see me and think, "Well, look at her. If she can do that from a wheelchair, I don't have any excuses." I imagine more than a few!

Yup, I'll joyfully let you tell me that I am inspiring, but only if you let me come back later and ask what changes that brought. In other words, go beyond being inspired... grab hold of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment