Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chance Encounter at Panera

An elderly man approached me in the Panera parking lot where I was loading my wheelchair, and he proffered assistance. NO WAY I was going to deny him the opportunity to serve even though loading it is something I do with ease.

The conversation that ensued, easily an hour's duration, was one of those hidden blessings in disability that sometimes drive me to my knees with prayers of gratitude.

My new friend, 93 years-old and struggling with increasing decline and weakness, saw in me a kindred spirit where he could begin to unburden his tormented soul by sharing his depression, rage, fears and a few tears over his losses.

He told me, "99.9% of the people don't see me. But you do."



Indeed Jack, I do. And what I see is a beautiful man, full of wisdom, and tender grace. I see a man who doesn't yet know how tenderly he is held in Love's Arms. I see somebody I want to know and from whom I want to learn. I see future conversations and mutual healing. I see a man who is beginning to learn of the beauty in surrendering to the need to receive. I see a man on an active, wrenching, soul-gripping journey.

God brings such wonderful companions to share my journey up the mountain. Jack, go grab your hiking boots and let's start climbing. Glad to have you along!

No comments:

Post a Comment